We are thrilled to launch our 80th year at ArtCenter Manatee with new exhibits – both curated & open juried shows.
Our Exhibit Schedule has something for everyone. We have many groups such as Pen Women, The Exhibiting Society of Artists, Lakewood Ranch Painters, International Society of Acrylic Painters, Florida Suncoast Watercolor and American Watercolor Society Traveling Exhibit. We also have the talented artist & instructor Dylan Pierce, whose amazing talent defies his age.
We are offering eight open juried shows this year created to give you the opportunity to compete, display and sell your work. We always title our shows but please know the title (except the 12×12 show coming up) is a guide, not a mandatory theme. No work is excluded because it is not within the thematic parameters.
Our ever popular Open Juried Shows bring us a beautiful opportunity to learn. Learn about what others are doing, to learn about how you, the artist, are faring in the art world and to learn what techniques are trending or changing in art. As the art world is challenged with the ever-changing digital environment and exposure to not only others’ artwork but to images copied or purchased, it requires that the artist truly look at where they obtain inspiration and what is acceptable.
As we begin our new exhibition calendar, I ask you to review the guidelines. Entry fees are non-refundable. Entries must be the original design of the artist completed in the last 3 years (5 years for sculpture). Class projects are unacceptable except in the Student Show. When competing in shows, copies of someone else’s design or source material that is not your own (even if purchased) is not acceptable.
I ask you to consider that our role as an educational institution is to remind that we are all learning – to be better artists – to be better human beings. A desire to copy someone else’s images for juried shows should be a red flag for us to review our intention. Are we getting caught up in competition, do we feel devoid of originality or simply thinking it is the “easy way?” As human beings we are going to always make mistakes. In fact, I believe they are a wonderful tool to becoming whole. But possibly, if we continue to ask ourselves these types of questions, we will find it is never worth the diminishment of our own creative journey to copy – no matter what the immediate gain. It is an impossible task for us to police all entries. It is left to you, the artist, to live honorably.
As always, there’s LOTS of learning going on at ArtCenter Manatee! So with that said, it is always exciting to see what you have created. I encourage you to join the fun – these open shows are for you!
Art of the Heart – Receiving October 29th
Wonders of the World – Receiving December 3rd
Student Show – Receiving February 25th
Member Show – Receiving March 25th
Artists’ Choice – Receiving May 20th
Fur, Feathers, Flora & Fauna – Receiving June 24th (back by popular demand!)
Download a PDF of the 2016-17 ArtCenter Manatee Exhibition Schedule
2016-2017 ACM Exhibition Schedule
- Entries must be the original design of the artist completed in the last 3 (Sculptures completed in the last 5 years.) Class projects, of the artist’s own design, are acceptable.
- Copies of someone else’s design are not acceptable. Source material must be original and not derived from any published or copyrighted images.
- Only original work will be accepted; no reproductions (prints, giclees) except digital productions.
- Work may be shown only once in an ACM open or member show.
- Work may not be removed from the Artists’ Market to be shown in an exhibit.
- Student Show – Only work done in a class or workshop at ArtCenter Manatee within the last year will be accepted to this show. One piece per instructor per medium.
- Maximum size for paintings is 7’ x 7’.
- Any entry weighing over 50 lbs will be accepted at the discretion of the receiving committee and the artist must be available to assist with placement of the piece the day the show is hung.
- You may use glass in framed pieces under 22 x 28
- We require Plexiglas on all framed work over 22 x 28
- Unframed canvas need to be museum wrapped with painted edges.
- All photographs are to be framed under glass or Plexiglas or printed on museum wrapped canvas.
- All framed pieces should be wired, with wire ends wrapped with tape.
Wire should be securely attached to the back of the frame with screw eyes, one third down from the top of the frame.
- Saw tooth hangers, fishing line or chains will not be accepted.
- Name, address and phone number must be written on the back of all art.
- Yellow copy of entry form should be taped to the wire on the back-right side of the artwork.
- Mats, glass and Plexiglas need to be clean and free of scratches.
- Any entry not meeting these requirements will not be accepted.
- The entry fees are non-refundable.
- One Piece: $20 members, $30 non-members.
- Two Pieces: $30 members, $50 non-members.
- Three Pieces: $35 members, $65 non-members
- Diptych: $25 ArtCenter Manatee members, $40 non-members
- Triptych: $35 ArtCenter Manatee members, $60 non-members
- Diptych and Triptych must be in matching frames
- No work accepted for an exhibition may be substituted or withdrawn during the exhibit.
- Artwork sold will remain in the galleries until the published pick up date. The artist will receive 65% of the sale price.
Pick Up Deadline:
- All work must be picked up on the designated pick up date.
- Any artist who leaves work at the ArtCenter longer than 7 days after the pick up date will be charged $5 per day per piece.
Statement of Responsibility:
- The ArtCenter will do everything possible to protect the work of the artists. The artist needs to understand that the ArtCenter cannot be responsible for loss or damage.
- All work will be hung at the discretion of the Exhibition Committee. ArtCenter Manatee reserves the right of final presentation.
- The judge will be responsible for choosing art for the exhibit and the award winners. Artists will be notified by phone or email if their work is not accepted.
Open and Member Shows:
- Maximum of three entries per person.
- There must be a minimum of five (5) pieces in any award category to receive a cash award.