Dec 4-Jan 11
Opening Reception Dec 6
In this annual exhibit, we feature the work of Women Contemporary Artists (WCA). WCA is a strong, regional organization of over 100 vibrant, professional women actively engaged in the visual fine arts, based in Sarasota. Their mission is to provide visibility, encouragement and inspiration to women artists. WCA seeks to educate the general public about past and present contributions of women artists and to insure the inclusion of women in the history of art.
Welcome to Our 80th Season!
ArtCenter Manatee is Manatee County's premier visual arts center featuring the artwork of many talented local, state and national artists. Exhibitions change monthly in the three large galleries and the public is always welcome to the opening receptions to preview the artwork and meet the artists.
Art Opening Receptions
Each month, ArtCenter Manatee invites you to come to the opening reception for the exhibitions in the main galleries. Enjoy a glass of wine or beer, hors d’oeuvres, music and meet the artists.
An Open, All Media, Juried Show
On Display Dec 4, 2018 – Jan 11, 2019
Searle & Reid Hodges Galleries
Reception Dec 6, 5:00-7:00
Juror: John Bayalis
Inspirations is an open, all media, juried exhibit. Each artist may enter up to 3 pieces. Please review exhibition requirements before entering.
Pick up 1/12/2019, 9:00am – 1:00pm
Juror: John Bayalis has been the recipient of numerous awards throughout the United States and has painted abroad in Ireland, England and France. Noted for his distinct, realist style, the artist’s skill at handling contemporary themes and subject matter has earned him acclaim from art critics and collectors throughout the United States. John’s vibrant watercolors reflect a specific clarity of light and form, while dealing with unique viewpoints in portraying popular culture and the vernacular landscape. The artist has also embraced still life as a format, and sought to show a personal vision in both content and composition. Intricate set ups include man-made and natural elements as well as printed backdrops, vintage postcards and periodicals. The carefully selected viewpoints depict compositions meticulously rendered on the watercolor paper, that glow in subtly balanced color palettes. Among his honors are an award of an individual artist’s fellowship grant and the selection for The Watercolor Page in AMERICAN ARTIST magazine where one of his works graced the cover. The artist’s works are included in private and corporate collections throughout the United States.
2018-19 ArtCenter Manatee Exhibition Schedule
Download PDF: 2018-2019 ACM Exhibition Schedule
- Entries must be the original design of the artist completed in the last 3 years. (Sculptures completed in the last 5 years.) Class projects, of the artist’s own design, are acceptable.
- Copies of someone else’s design are not acceptable. Source material must be original and not derived from any published or copyrighted images.
- Only original work will be accepted; no reproductions (prints, giclees) except digital productions.
- Work may be shown only once in an ACM open or member show.
- Work may not be removed from the Artists’ Market to be shown in an exhibit.
- Student Show – Only work done in a class or workshop at ArtCenter Manatee within the last year will be accepted to this show. One piece per instructor per medium.
- Maximum size for paintings is 7’ x 7’.
- Any entry weighing over 50 lbs will be accepted at the discretion of the receiving committee and the artist must be available to assist with placement of the piece the day the show is hung.
- You may use glass in framed pieces under 22 x 28
- We require Plexiglas on all framed work over 22 x 28
- Unframed canvas need to be museum wrapped with painted edges.
- All photographs are to be framed under glass or Plexiglas or printed on museum wrapped canvas.
- All framed pieces should be wired, with wire ends wrapped with tape.
Wire should be securely attached to the back of the frame with screw eyes, one third down from the top of the frame.
- Saw tooth hangers, fishing line or chains will not be accepted.
- Name, address and phone number must be written on the back of all art.
- Yellow copy of entry form should be taped to the wire on the back-right side of the artwork.
- Mats, glass and Plexiglas need to be clean and free of scratches.
- Any entry not meeting these requirements will not be accepted.
- The entry fees are non-refundable.
- One Piece: $20 members, $30 non-members.
- Two Pieces: $30 members, $50 non-members.
- Three Pieces: $35 members, $65 non-members
- Diptych: $25 ArtCenter Manatee members, $40 non-members
- Triptych: $35 ArtCenter Manatee members, $60 non-members
- Diptych and Triptych must be in matching frames
- No work accepted for an exhibition may be substituted or withdrawn during the exhibit.
- Artwork sold will remain in the galleries until the published pick up date. The artist will receive 65% of the sale price.
Pick Up Deadline:
- All work must be picked up on the designated pick up date.
- Any artist who leaves work at the ArtCenter longer than 7 days after the pick up date will be charged $5 per day per piece.
Statement of Responsibility:
- The ArtCenter will do everything possible to protect the work of the artists. The artist needs to understand that the ArtCenter cannot be responsible for loss or damage.
- All work will be hung at the discretion of the Exhibition Committee. ArtCenter Manatee reserves the right of final presentation.
- The judge will be responsible for choosing art for the exhibit and the award winners. Artists will be notified by phone or email if their work is not accepted.
Open and Member Shows:
- Maximum of three entries per person.
- There must be a minimum of five (5) pieces in any award category to receive a cash award.